Skip to main content

SGA election helps create better student journalists

Being a journalist carries a lot of weight. It is my responsibility to communicate important information to the public so people can create be well informed opinions, and then turn around and elect officials to represent them. This applies at the national and local level.

Locally, journalists must cover state and city elections. Without this coverage, citizens in smaller areas would likely know nothing about each candidate. For students who aspire to become professional reporters, acquiring the skills necessary to cover these elections is a vital part of becoming a reliable journalist.  

For student journalists, this means we must cover the executive officer elections for the school’s governing body, the student government association; as this “local news” is what our college community needs to decide who to support.  

Here at Troy University, Troy TrojanVision News has been covering the election process for weeks. We were there at the first SGA exec interest meeting, allowing our viewers to see a room full of potential candidates. Our station hosted the Student Government Association’s annual televised debate, allowing out viewers to hear first-hand from their peers attempting to be on exec. Lastly, our overage has led up to students casting their ballots on Feb. 26, and will continue on as we cover the newly elected exec members for the next school year. 

Five positions are up for grabs: SGA president, executive vice president, vice president of internal affairs, vice president of campus affairs and executive secretary; which are all listed on the Troy website

“I think it’s really important for students to come out and vote during this election so they feel like they have a say in what’s happening on campus,” SGA vice president of internal affairs Camryn May stated. 

“Over the past year especially, there’s been a disconnect between SGA and the student body,” she said. “The students have voiced feeling like they don’t know what’s happening in SGA, and I know a lot of the candidates have said that they want to change that this upcoming year if elected.”

On TrojanVision this week, SGA advisor Barbara Patterson said the SGA debate provided the candidates the chance to share their perspectives. 

“We want the candidates running for SGA to have a real-world experience in the debate world, and a real-world experience in being in front of the cameras answering questions,” She said. 

The debate not only provided an opportunity for the candidates to practice their public speaking, but it also provided our station’s staff the chance to experience election reporting. This is not the first time I have covered Troy University’s SGA election, but each time I do, l gain more journalistic insight.  

During this Spring 2020 election I have had to remain very neutral and balanced. Each time I was added to a campaign page on Facebook, I declined the invitation; even if it was from a friend. I have removed myself from situations where people could even perceive bias. It is my responsibility to be fair about the election process.

I hosted the televised debate. I treated each and every candidate the same throughout the process. I remained business professional the entire time and wanted the candidates to trust me. While in the real world I may not be friends with the politicians I am covering, I will have to establish and maintain a business professional rapport, like the one I mentioned earlier. I will also have to remove any possible opinions I have on a politician to cover them fairly. 

This whole SGA election process has allowed myself and my Troy TrojanVision peers to practice our reporting skills. Alongside myself, I have encouraged members of the staff to practice ethical journalism, even at the colligate level. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Localize it: Coronavirus

Apart of being an effective journalist is localizing stories. What does that mean? It means I examine the impact broad, national or international stories are having on our local communities. Every story must put people first, so by looking at how people are being affected in a smaller community, we understand the real implications of a large newsworthy event.  The Chinese Coronavirus has made many headlines lately, and rightfully so. CNBC reports that 563 people in China have died so far from the disease, with a confirmed 28,000 cases reported.  The outbreak has been devasting for the people of China, which is why countries are keeping a close eye on international travel to and from the region. People fear the spread of the virus.  How could an outbreak in China be localized? Well, now it’s in the United States. As of Wednesday, NBC reports that 12 cases of the disease have been brought into the U.S. This may remind some Americans of the Ebola outbreak that happened back

A look behind the lens

You look new, welcome to “Views from the News!” On this weekly blog I will provide a look behind the lens, hence the title, of a broadcast journalist. Many people see the glamor of being on television before the long hours of blindly finding sources, running around, conducting interviews and creating news content.  My name is Brady Talbert, and I currently study broadcast journalism at Troy University. At Troy, I serve as the student news director, reporter, anchor and producer at TROY TrojanVision News ; our daily television newscast. I am also a staff writer for The Tropolitan , the student produced newspaper. I have also interned with professional print publications, radio stations and video production companies. I am passionate about the world of journalism and am always eager to share it with others.  Here, you will see how the stories I tell on TV and in print come together. I will also provide a deeper, closer look at topics I have or will cover. I want you, t

Don’t be afraid to be a source

Sources! Sources! Sources! Sources are an essential part of creating a news story. Whether it be for radio, television or print, news cannot be reported without them.  So, what exactly is a source? A source is someone who provides a journalist with information. They can be a well-educated, insightful professional who provides detailed facts or simply a citizen sharing their opinion on the topic at hand. The latter is the type of source I am talking about now.  Often times I find myself searching for an average, everyday person to share their thoughts. Whether it be on new legislation, something controversial or even someone’s thoughts on a community service project, people are often reluctant to stand in front of a camera and be interviewed.   I get it, I really do. A camera can be scary for some, and I have to remind myself that not everyone is used to it. I often find myself coaxing people into doing an interview, and people usually commit once they know I can edit o