Skip to main content

The importance of covering SGA elections

Being a journalist carries a lot of weight. It is my responsibility to communicate important information to the public so people can create be well informed opinions, and then turn around and elect officials to represent them. This applies at the national and local level.

Locally, journalists must cover state and city elections. Without this coverage, citizens in smaller areas would likely know nothing about each candidate. For students who aspire to become professional reporters, acquiring the skills necessary to cover these elections is a vital part of becoming a reliable journalist.  

For student journalists, this means we must cover the executive officer elections for the school’s governing body, the student government association; as this “local news” is what our college community needs to decide who to support.  

Here at Troy University, Troy TrojanVision News has been covering the election process for weeks. We were there at the first SGA exec interest meeting, allowing our viewers to see a room full of potential candidates. Our station hosted the Student Government Association’s annual televised debate, allowing out viewers to hear first-hand from their peers attempting to be on exec. Lastly, our overage has led up to students casting their ballots on Feb. 26, and will continue on as we cover the newly elected exec members for the next school year. 

This is not the first time I have covered Troy University’s SGA election, but each time I do, l gain more journalistic insight.  

During this Spring 2020 election I have had to remain very neutral and balanced. Each time I was added to a campaign page on Facebook, I declined the invitation; even if it was from a friend. I have removed myself from situations where people could even perceive bias. It is my responsibility to be fair about the election process.

I hosted the televised debate. I treated each and every candidate the same throughout the process. I remained business professional the entire time and wanted the candidates to trust me. While in the real world I may not be friends with the politicians I am covering, I will have to establish and maintain a business professional rapport, like the one I mentioned earlier. I will also have to remove any possible opinions I have on a politician to cover them fairly. 

This whole SGA election process has allowed myself and my Troy TrojanVision peers to practice our reporting skills. Alongside myself, I have encouraged members of the staff to practice ethical journalism, even at the colligate level. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TV journalists social distance & report from home

The coronavirus outbreak has flipped many people’s lives upside down. Employees who used to work from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. are now stuck at home, either completing work online or waiting for this pandemic to end.  Obviously, doctors, nurses, pharmacists and those in the food industry are considered “essential” workers because people need access to these things to survive. What some may not realize is that journalists are also essential workers, because the communication of newsworthy events is needed now more than ever to keep people safe. Journalists are the ones keeping the public in on the loop that is the coronavirus. They are working around the clock to report Covid-19 cases, and what political leaders are saying to their local communities to keep them safe. Journalists out in the field and in press conferences, like the one’s with Alabama Governor Kay Ivey, are maintaining their distance from interview subjects and other reporters. Many are strictly staying six feet away...

The production team: the unsung heroes of news

So, you’re making a newscast. Who do you need? A news anchor or two, a weather anchor, a sports anchor, a couple reporters and that’s it, right? Not exactly.  There are faces behind the faces, and as deep as that sounds, its true. Behind every anchor is a director calling the shots, a camera person framing the angles and an audio technician balancing sound levels. The production team brings the show to life. Before every newscast, the production team is preparing for the show. While some team members may actually be broadcasting another live program, other team members work to create graphics for each story in the newscast. Those name graphics, fancy over the shoulder graphics and monitor graphics don’t make themselves. The production team whips them up in editing software. At Troy TrojanVision News, our production team arrives at least two hours before every newscast to prepare the show. They work hard in a booth beside the studio, creating graphics, as the producers ...