Skip to main content

A look behind the lens

You look new, welcome to “Views from the News!”

On this weekly blog I will provide a look behind the lens, hence the title, of a broadcast journalist. Many people see the glamor of being on television before the long hours of blindly finding sources, running around, conducting interviews and creating news content. 

My name is Brady Talbert, and I currently study broadcast journalism at Troy University. At Troy, I serve as the student news director, reporter, anchor and producer at TROY TrojanVision News; our daily television newscast. I am also a staff writer for The Tropolitan, the student produced newspaper. I have also interned with professional print publications, radio stations and video production companies. I am passionate about the world of journalism and am always eager to share it with others. 

Here, you will see how the stories I tell on TV and in print come together. I will also provide a deeper, closer look at topics I have or will cover.

I want you, the reader, to have a clear understanding of how the media works. Some view the media as pot-stirrers and don’t grasp the importance of journalists. Why would I want to work in an industry that is often labeled “fake news?” How does a newscast get made? What is at the root of every story? These topics, and more, will all be discussed here. 

You can come back each Friday for new blog posts. Also, make sure to follow me on social media! I have the links posted below. 

So, sit back and prepare to get a glimpse of my life as a journalist. You may be surprised what you discover. 

Give me a follow...
Instagram: @brady.talbert 
Twitter: @brady_talbert

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TV journalists social distance & report from home

The coronavirus outbreak has flipped many people’s lives upside down. Employees who used to work from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. are now stuck at home, either completing work online or waiting for this pandemic to end.  Obviously, doctors, nurses, pharmacists and those in the food industry are considered “essential” workers because people need access to these things to survive. What some may not realize is that journalists are also essential workers, because the communication of newsworthy events is needed now more than ever to keep people safe. Journalists are the ones keeping the public in on the loop that is the coronavirus. They are working around the clock to report Covid-19 cases, and what political leaders are saying to their local communities to keep them safe. Journalists out in the field and in press conferences, like the one’s with Alabama Governor Kay Ivey, are maintaining their distance from interview subjects and other reporters. Many are strictly staying six feet away...

In a pinch? Use your smartphone to report

You’re a journalist. You’re out in the field, not at the news station, without a camera. You also don’t have a tripod, or any other fancy bells and whistles typically used to record a news story. What do you do? Well, you don’t have to quit your TV news job to become a print journalist, you can actually create your story with something you already have; a smartphone.  Smartphones can record great video. Apple devices can record in high definition, meaning that today’s smartphones are up to the standard of many broadcast television news stations. So, why not use them? A few weeks ago, I was in a pinch. I had one hour to grab an interview and some broll for a news package I needed to create, as well as get a quick interview that my station, TROY TrojanVision News, could play on the air (as a VO/SOT). I didn’t have a broadcast camera on hand, and figured I’d use my iPhone.  For scenarios like this one, I find it useful to have a mobile journalism backpack. In thi...

Creating TV newscasts from home

The coronavirus outbreak has flipped many people’s lives upside down. Most employees who used to work from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. are now stuck at home, either completing work online or waiting for this pandemic to end.  Obviously, doctors, nurses, pharmacists and those in the food industry are considered “essential” workers because people need access to these things to survive. What some may not realize is that journalists are also essential workers, because the communication of newsworthy events is needed now more than ever to keep people safe. Journalists are the ones keeping the public in on the loop that is the coronavirus. They are working around the clock to report COVID-19 cases, and what political leaders are saying to their local communities to keep them safe. Journalists out in the field and in press conferences, like the one’s with Alabama Governor Kay Ivey, are maintaining their distance from interview subjects and other reporters. Many are strictly staying six fe...