Skip to main content

Utilizing social media to report on COVID-19

I felt a little hindered at first, knowing that because of the coronavirus I couldn’t visit the television station and whip up a story like I normally would. But, being a multi-media journalist means being flexible. So, I and some fellow Troy University student journalists are reporting the news the best we can while also practicing social distancing; via social media. 

Because I can’t necessarily create a TV news package, because I really don’t have much to film in my home, I’ve had to rely more on a print format. I’ve reached out to the university and will soon reach out to students through my phone to get information from sources. 

I’m currently working on a story for Troy University’s student newspaper, The Tropolitan, about on campus dining closures. Many restaurants have closed down shop to prevent the spread of the virus.  All dining options in the Trojan Center are unavailable, and a few other eateries have new, temporary hours. Troy’s dining hall is now offering to-go orders for students, so they can eat meals in their dorm rooms. I was able to get this information without even having to leave my home and will include it in my article and on my Twitter. 

Speaking of Twitter, I’ve used the platform to share quick news updates to my followers. From retweeting the latest stats on confirmed COVID-19 cases across the state of Alabama, to writing my own content; Twitter has been a helpful tool to share quick spirts of information.  

As updates come in, I’m cycling them out to my following. A really big story I shared was the Dothan Eagle’s article on a confirmed case in Dothan; meaning that Troy residents are now surrounded, as cases are in Dothan and Montgomery now. 

Yesterday, I tweeted about how a local restaurant was taping off tables to prevent guests from sitting too close to other people dining in; a simple precaution that I thought my followers would find interesting.  

Today, I made a quick trip to the grocery store and noticed a near empty shelf which once held toilet paper. I snapped a photo and tweeted it out with #coronavirus; allowing my followers to know that only a few more rolls of toilet paper were available for purchase. 

A big take away from all of this is that news can be shared a variety of ways, and it’s our job as journalists to do it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TV journalists social distance & report from home

The coronavirus outbreak has flipped many people’s lives upside down. Employees who used to work from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. are now stuck at home, either completing work online or waiting for this pandemic to end.  Obviously, doctors, nurses, pharmacists and those in the food industry are considered “essential” workers because people need access to these things to survive. What some may not realize is that journalists are also essential workers, because the communication of newsworthy events is needed now more than ever to keep people safe. Journalists are the ones keeping the public in on the loop that is the coronavirus. They are working around the clock to report Covid-19 cases, and what political leaders are saying to their local communities to keep them safe. Journalists out in the field and in press conferences, like the one’s with Alabama Governor Kay Ivey, are maintaining their distance from interview subjects and other reporters. Many are strictly staying six feet away...

The production team: the unsung heroes of news

So, you’re making a newscast. Who do you need? A news anchor or two, a weather anchor, a sports anchor, a couple reporters and that’s it, right? Not exactly.  There are faces behind the faces, and as deep as that sounds, its true. Behind every anchor is a director calling the shots, a camera person framing the angles and an audio technician balancing sound levels. The production team brings the show to life. Before every newscast, the production team is preparing for the show. While some team members may actually be broadcasting another live program, other team members work to create graphics for each story in the newscast. Those name graphics, fancy over the shoulder graphics and monitor graphics don’t make themselves. The production team whips them up in editing software. At Troy TrojanVision News, our production team arrives at least two hours before every newscast to prepare the show. They work hard in a booth beside the studio, creating graphics, as the producers ...

The importance of covering SGA elections

Being a journalist carries a lot of weight. It is my responsibility to communicate important information to the public so people can create be well informed opinions, and then turn around and elect officials to represent them. This applies at the national and local level. Locally, journalists must cover state and city elections. Without this coverage, citizens in smaller areas would likely know nothing about each candidate. For students who aspire to become professional reporters, acquiring the skills necessary to cover these elections is a vital part of becoming a reliable journalist.   For student journalists, this means we must cover the executive officer elections for the school’s governing body, the student government association; as this “local news” is what our college community needs to decide who to support.   Here at Troy University, Troy TrojanVision News has been covering the election process for weeks. We were there at the first SGA exec int...