Skip to main content

Why words matter most

When I stumble upon someone, and tell them that I am a broadcast journalist, people tend to focus on the whole “being on camera” aspect of the job. 

From what I have witnessed, people are quick to say they would like to be on television without knowing what exactly goes into it. Yes, expensive cameras and high-tech editing software make a newscast more flashy and visually appealing, but it is the *words* being said that are at the root of broadcast journalism. 


People should focus less on the “broadcast” element of broadcast journalism, and more on the “journalism” part. Journalism is the number one aspect that goes into creating a newscast, otherwise the news would be an over-produced reality show of some sort. 

Simply put, the words matter most. 

Broadcast journalists operate just like print journalists, expect with more equipment. We go out, interview experts on a topic, gather the public’s opinion, ask informed questions, fact-check material and present it to our viewers each night. 

It is important to get the words right to convey the story correctly and to prevent people from misinterpreting what our interview subjects say. Leading up to showing our viewers a soundbite, it is my reasonability to frame it correctly. No, not just the camera shot, but to provide context on what the subject is speaking about. If I get my words wrong, I could misinform the public and lose credibility. 

Alongside making my words accurate and informative, they must also be interesting and not repetitive. 

I often times catch myself just staring at the screen on my laptop, just watching the cursor blink. Waiting for the right words to put down. Although a journalist must work quickly, the craft of telling stories can be tough sometimes. 

I can often be seen Googling synonyms to popular words just to change my writing up a bit. Rather than saying “event” 25 times, I may say “gathering,” “function” or “experience.” 

Rather than saying the person I interviewed “said” something over and over again, I might say they “provided context,” “gave us insight,” or “shared their opinion.” I must be picky with my words. For example, If I say they “believe” something I have already made a mistake. I must say that they “say they believe” something, as I can’t just jump inside their mind and see if they are being genuine. 

Language is important, and people are quick to stop listening if I bore them; so, I must keep what I say fresh and unique while also accurate. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TV journalists social distance & report from home

The coronavirus outbreak has flipped many people’s lives upside down. Employees who used to work from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. are now stuck at home, either completing work online or waiting for this pandemic to end.  Obviously, doctors, nurses, pharmacists and those in the food industry are considered “essential” workers because people need access to these things to survive. What some may not realize is that journalists are also essential workers, because the communication of newsworthy events is needed now more than ever to keep people safe. Journalists are the ones keeping the public in on the loop that is the coronavirus. They are working around the clock to report Covid-19 cases, and what political leaders are saying to their local communities to keep them safe. Journalists out in the field and in press conferences, like the one’s with Alabama Governor Kay Ivey, are maintaining their distance from interview subjects and other reporters. Many are strictly staying six feet away...

The production team: the unsung heroes of news

So, you’re making a newscast. Who do you need? A news anchor or two, a weather anchor, a sports anchor, a couple reporters and that’s it, right? Not exactly.  There are faces behind the faces, and as deep as that sounds, its true. Behind every anchor is a director calling the shots, a camera person framing the angles and an audio technician balancing sound levels. The production team brings the show to life. Before every newscast, the production team is preparing for the show. While some team members may actually be broadcasting another live program, other team members work to create graphics for each story in the newscast. Those name graphics, fancy over the shoulder graphics and monitor graphics don’t make themselves. The production team whips them up in editing software. At Troy TrojanVision News, our production team arrives at least two hours before every newscast to prepare the show. They work hard in a booth beside the studio, creating graphics, as the producers ...

Localize it: coronavirus in a college town

Like I have said before, each national story tends to have a local impact. As journalists it is important to understand that these large breaking news stories ultimately trickle down and affect our communities.  The last time I “localized” the coronavirus, I spoke about the significance of the disease and what precautions Troy University was putting in place to prevent its spread. At that time, the thought of the virus popping up in our small, rural college town was unthinkable for some.  On Wednesday, as students were brewing their morning coffee or working on assignments from home, the Troy Messenger broke the news that a confirmed case of COVID-19 had made its way into Pike County. The unthinkable, for some, had just became a reality.  Right now, the public has been encouraged to continue practicing social distancing. People should only leave their home for necessities. When leaving your home, you should leave a six-foot distance between yourself and oth...