Skip to main content

Why I chose journalism

The thrill of hoping my news story gets done in time gets my adrenaline pumping. The balance of fact checking and being reliable, while also working on a tight deadline is such a rush. 

In one year, I plan to graduate from Troy University with a degree in broadcast journalism. Because of this, I have recently been weighing my options for potential news markets to start off in; which is insane to me.

By the time I graduate I will have been preparing to enter the news industry for eight years, and I often find myself looking back at where I started. 

I was around the age of 13 when I first taught myself how to edit video. I would record low quality videos on my little, black camcorder and edit them in Windows Movie Maker. I had so much fun adding fonts and transitions to what I created. I produced mini shows and forced my younger brother to participate in them. I knew I liked editing and telling stories, but I don’t think I realized I could do it for a living until high school. 

I went to Thompson High School in Alabaster, Alabama. The school was like any other American high school, but THS really stressed that each student chose an academy to study in. From engineering to health care, my school had plenty of options to choose from. I chose the TV and Film Academy, and for the next four years studied broadcast journalism alongside my first TV mentor, Brooke Dennis. 

I first discovered my voice as a journalist through THS TV. I reported on the construction of my school’s new high school facility for four years. I even tackled more controversial topics, such as the 2016 presidential election and discussion on transgender bathroom rights. I anchored my school’s newscast and was even awarded the Alabama Scholastic Press Association’s 2017 Journalist of the Year; this was a massive deal for me at the time. I remember being almost moved to tears because my work had been recognized. 

Throughout high school I did internships with local media outlets, which further strengthened my love for the craft of journalism. I knew if I wanted to go into this industry, I needed to find a university with a program that would mold me further. 

I chose Troy University as my number one school, a decision I standby to this day. At Troy, I work alongside professors who have worked in the news business, I produce content for our student newspaper and work each night at TROY TrojanVision News as the student news director.

My story is far from over, and I’m eager to keep on telling it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TV journalists social distance & report from home

The coronavirus outbreak has flipped many people’s lives upside down. Employees who used to work from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. are now stuck at home, either completing work online or waiting for this pandemic to end.  Obviously, doctors, nurses, pharmacists and those in the food industry are considered “essential” workers because people need access to these things to survive. What some may not realize is that journalists are also essential workers, because the communication of newsworthy events is needed now more than ever to keep people safe. Journalists are the ones keeping the public in on the loop that is the coronavirus. They are working around the clock to report Covid-19 cases, and what political leaders are saying to their local communities to keep them safe. Journalists out in the field and in press conferences, like the one’s with Alabama Governor Kay Ivey, are maintaining their distance from interview subjects and other reporters. Many are strictly staying six feet away...

The production team: the unsung heroes of news

So, you’re making a newscast. Who do you need? A news anchor or two, a weather anchor, a sports anchor, a couple reporters and that’s it, right? Not exactly.  There are faces behind the faces, and as deep as that sounds, its true. Behind every anchor is a director calling the shots, a camera person framing the angles and an audio technician balancing sound levels. The production team brings the show to life. Before every newscast, the production team is preparing for the show. While some team members may actually be broadcasting another live program, other team members work to create graphics for each story in the newscast. Those name graphics, fancy over the shoulder graphics and monitor graphics don’t make themselves. The production team whips them up in editing software. At Troy TrojanVision News, our production team arrives at least two hours before every newscast to prepare the show. They work hard in a booth beside the studio, creating graphics, as the producers ...

The importance of covering SGA elections

Being a journalist carries a lot of weight. It is my responsibility to communicate important information to the public so people can create be well informed opinions, and then turn around and elect officials to represent them. This applies at the national and local level. Locally, journalists must cover state and city elections. Without this coverage, citizens in smaller areas would likely know nothing about each candidate. For students who aspire to become professional reporters, acquiring the skills necessary to cover these elections is a vital part of becoming a reliable journalist.   For student journalists, this means we must cover the executive officer elections for the school’s governing body, the student government association; as this “local news” is what our college community needs to decide who to support.   Here at Troy University, Troy TrojanVision News has been covering the election process for weeks. We were there at the first SGA exec int...